Domain: Product and supply chain certification
Difficulty in tracking the movement of goods between different parties located in different countries around the world.
By using the blockchain it is possible to ensure that all parties handling the goods can manipulate them but cannot alter their content.
Usually each product that has to be moved from the place of production to the final consumer has to go through about 30 steps, such as customs clearance, certification, transport by ship and truck. The intent of this project is to make simpler the procedure of moving the property and certification of goods between multiple parties using the already proven Ethereum blockchain ledger to assign rights in a secure and immutable way.
- Blockchain: Ethereum smart contracts
- Software: Ethereum + Solidity for backend, REST Api + HTML5 frontend
- Main characteristics of the chosen blockchain
- Public blockchain, Permission control
- Smart Contracts
- Available Programming Languages: Solidity, Vyper
- Chosen Programming Language: Solidity
- Pilot for commercial application
Focus point commentary indicating the value of the case study in relation with learning modules
Learning Modules Focus Points
Peer-to-Peer database design This project is bound with the Ethereum blockchain that guarantees a high availability and data decentralization for all of his nodes.
Encryption techniques Hashing of sensitive data, but hash is public.
Consensus Proof of stake
Smart Contracts Ethereum smart contracts
- The project is currently a pilot. There is no guarantee that it will be implemented in production.
- Classic database with permission to accept and refuse goods ownership with one impartial guarantor like WTO.
- Official website of port of Antwerp: https://www.portofantwerp.com/en/news/antwerp-blockchain-pilot-pioneers-secure-and-efficient-document-workflow
- Full press release: https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5a4c923580bd5e51e5536643/t/5b2782a0aa4a99e2ba580730/1529316001759/FinalPressRelease-T-Mining-150618.pdf
- Website of developer: https://t-mining.be/